When a J-1 in your department will temporarily be carrying out J-1 program activities outside of the U.S. and will be returning to WashU to continue the J-1 program, the Out of Country documents need completion. This option allows J-1 sponsors to document that the professor or research scholar is continuing to participate in their exchange program for a particular period of time even though outside the United States. The SEVIS record remains in Active status during that period.
Considerations for utilizing the Out of Country option to keep the record active
- As the program sponsor, the OISS may be required to explain how the J-1 scholar is pursuing J-1 program activities to maintain J-1 status while outside the United States.
- The Scholar must maintain insurance coverage while outside the U.S. and in Active status.
- The sponsor must:
- Monitor the exchange visitor’s address and phone number;
- Monitor progress and welfare of the exchange visitor;
- Research Scholars and Professor must be at the site of activity listed in SEVIS;
- Terminate the exchange visitor’s participation if s/he fails to pursue the activities.
- This option allows the scholar to maintain J-1 status rather than having to complete the J-1 program and becoming subject to the 12 or 24 month bars on repeat participation.
Please submit the Out of Country forms in ISD to initiate this request with OISS.