While the J-1 Exchange Visitor and the H-1B Temporary Worker statuses are used most often, there are other types of temporary immigration statuses that may be useful for scholars who are coming to Washington University. The other types of visas are defined as follows:

  • B-1 or Visa Waiver – Visitor for Business or Waiver for Business
  • B-2 or Visa Waiver – Visitor for Pleasure or Waiver for Pleasure – of limited use in the University
  • F-1 OPT and STEM OPT – training in an F-1 Student’s field of study
  • O-1 – Workers of Extraordinary Ability
  • Free Trade Visas – for those from countries, Canada, Mexico, and Australia, with whom the US has agreements which include immigration provisions